The windows serve us for decades. And if previously we had a somewhat limited choice, now the market is full of original designs, so it can be quite difficult to decide what is suitable for your home.
To facilitate your search, we will tell you about two popular models that are often compared with each other: single hung vs slider.
Both these constructions have sashes that slide on guide rollers. The difference is that one sash in a single hung slides vertically, and in a slider – one or two sashes move horizontally.
After reading our article, you will better understand which of these two window designs would be a better choice for your home.
Single Hung Window Advantages and Disadvantages
Single Hung is a type of window with an upper fixed and lower moving sash. This means that the top of the window remains fixed in one position, and the bottom can go up and down when you need to ventilate the room.
Let’s start with the advantages of single hung windows replacement:
- This model is as easy to install as possible and requires a minimum of effort.
- Such designs are much cheaper than casement, awning or bow windows. The basic version of such a window cost only $220.
- They provide a high level of safety, as they are often equipped with multiple locking mechanisms.
- Single-sash windows are quite energy-efficient: they are designed with a partial seal around the frame, which helps to keep heat in winter and protect from hot air in summer.
- Have a classic, timeless design that fits perfectly into the interior of any house.
Disadvantages of single hung windows:
- These models cannot provide good ventilation, as they have only one moving sash.
- Since the insulation of these windows is less effective than that of the casement models, they can be prone to leaks and draughts.
- Problems with cleaning and maintenance of glass and frame occur because in this design only one sash is moving. Thus, if the windows are on the upper floors, they can be difficult to clean.
- As a rule, such products are not produced in large sizes. This means that you will not be able to let a large amount of light inside the room.
Slider Window Advantages and Disadvantages
Slider windows have one fixed and one movable sash (single slider) or two movable sashes (double slider) that move horizontally.
This is a popular choice for many homeowners for rooms with limited space, as they do not require much space to open.
These designs have a lot of advantages:
- Slider windows have a stylish modern look that can decorate any room.
- Single sliders are also quite energy-efficient, as they have a few glass panes with good insulation. This will allow you to reduce your electricity bills and enjoy a more comfortable home environment.
- However, this is not relevant if we talk about the Double Slider, with both sashes moving, which can lead to a stronger outflow of warm air.
- Available price: Like the Single Hung, the basic version of the slider can be purchased for $220-230.
- Single sliders have only one moving sash, and they consist of fewer parts. This makes them easy to maintain. Overall, the Double Slider is also easy to maintain.
- Sliders are much easier to open than hung windows, as you do not have to make the effort to lift the sash vertically.
Of course, these window systems have several potential drawbacks:
- Due to the design, they are harder to wash from the outside than other models.
- Window guides can be clogged with dirt and debris, making it difficult to open and close them.
- If talking about a single slider, it provides approximately the same level of ventilation as the hung windows. However, this problem is solved by the installation of a double slider.
Single Hung or Slider Window: Which One to Buy?
When choosing between a single hung or slider window, it is important to consider size, energy efficiency, cost and air flow. Single hung windows are a little cheaper and easier to maintain than sliders, but the latter provide better ventilation, view and more convenient opening.
There are no bad windows: choose the right option, taking into account the size of your room, its location, and the type of room (living room, kitchen, bedroom, etc.).
Cost is also an important factor when choosing a window: double sliders can cost more than single hung window designs.
No matter what type of window you choose: slider vs single hung windows replacement, be sure to trust this work with experienced professionals who know all the nuances of the installation of such window systems.
So, among all contractors involved in window replacement, we especially recommend the popular Canadian company Vinyl Light Windows and Doors. The brand offers a large selection of sliders and single hung windows made from 100% unprocessed vinyl NPVC. This material has a long service life, resistant to extreme climatic changes, rust or corrosion.
Still having doubts about which type of window is better? The consultants of the company are ready to answer all your questions and recommend you the model that will perfectly fit into the interior of your home.