We all know English is no new language. English has now developed and evolved for more than 1400 years. The language has developed to the point that it has many branches and dialects in many different countries. Most of the prominent literature written in the world is written in this language. English is possibly the most popular language in the world, with speakers in all countries. This popularity is mainly because of the widespread control Britain had all over the world during the Rennaisance period. Many diploma courses like the delta diploma course are getting popular in recent times because teaching the language is largely in demand with a lot of emigration and immigration happening with globalisation.
Teaching Languages on the whole
Teaching is no easy job, and teaching someone a new language from scratch is a whole another level of toughness. Teaching a new language generally involves first teaching a person the alphabet of the language. In actuality, this is showing a clueless person a bunch of shapes like hieroglyphics and asking the person to memorise it. Then comes the spoken application part of the process, where the teacher teaches the student how each of the alphabet sounds when used in speech, then comes basic vocabulary and grammar. There are many approaches to teaching a language. Some of the popular ones are these:
- Grammar translation: this is a method where the students are given a passage to translate, and in the passage are a set of new complex words and forms which are explained to the students while they try to solve the passage.
- Direct method: This is a student-centred method where students in the classroom are very much encouraged to converse but are forbidden to speak their native language. This is to make the students figure out the rules by themselves, and if they make a mistake, they are gently corrected by the teacher. This method helps the student get a better sense of right and wrong usage of language.
Intricacies of the language
English is a very well developed language. It has a lot of intricate rules and codes which need to be followed to get a good hold of the language. These little nooks and corners of the language are often missed even by the most fluent users of the language. Even teachers aren’t an exception when it comes to these tender mistakes. To improve the level of teaching in teachers, there are many certifications and courses out there.
The increasing Importance of Qualifications in the teaching field
Teaching a language is no walk in the park. There are diploma and short-term courses to help teachers find better ways of teaching and conveying their knowledge to students. One such course is the delta diploma. The delta is a qualification for advanced English language teaching. It is for English teachers who have been in at least one year of CELTA employment in the English teaching field.
What does the course entail?
- Understanding the language and methodologies using the proper resources available to the teachers.
- Preparing the right teaching methods for students by observing their learning habits and creating custom made assessment methods for the specific field the student wants to explore.
- Helping students understand the specific roles of specific topics and sections of the language.