We all bank on our insurances when we are in trouble; be it our health insurance, house insurance or car insurance. However, what makes us think travelling is not risky enough to have an insurance for?
A travel insurance, apart from its several benefits and covers, gives you peace of mind while travelling. It is better to take preventive measures for the risks involved in travelling, rather than spend a hefty amount after it has happened.
Anything can happen while you travel as you are exposed to a number of risks, worst of all, in an unfamiliar place. If you don’t happen to be insured, there is a chance that you may have to shell out a lot of money and might be of complete inconvenience to you.
Here is a list of things that could go wrong:
- Unexpected cancellation of trip
- A natural disaster has hit your destination of travel
- A terrorist attack at your destination
- You fall sick or get injured during your travel
- Luggage is stolen or lost while travel
- You lose your passport on travel while travelling
These are just a few pointers that can go wrong. However, there are so many more unforeseen risks that you might face if luck isn’t on your side. Buying a travel insurance can turn out to be cheaper than you think.
Here are a few tips for buying the best overseas travel insurance for you:
- Look up your home insurance policy – many a times, home insurances also cover for personal belongings outside of your home. Being aware of whether your home insurance is inclusive of this or not can help you save on premiums.
- Buy them online directly – Travel insurances tend to be cheaper when buying online directly from the insurer. If having to go through a third party, you may have to pay high commissions to them.
- Travelling in a group – there is an option where you can opt for group policy if you happen to be travelling with a group. Pitching in money from everyone can lower your premium rates.
- Customer loyalty – look up if any of your other insurers such as car or house insurer also offer travel insurance. Buying from the same insurer is not only trust worthy, but can also help you get discounted rates. Also, don’t hesitate to ask. Bring comparisons to their competitors who are giving it at a lower price and luck might just favor you.
- Family travel insurances – many a times, family travel insurances cover the insurance for the kids for free.
- Add-on covers – there are several add-on covers to your travel insurance and you need to make sure you pick the right one based on the destination of your travel. For example: Credit-card insurance in case of theft or hacking of your card.
- Destination – the best travel insurance type might not be the same for every place. For example: the travel insurance for Schegen visa might have different structure than the US visa.
These tips will help you make the best choice for your international travel insurance. At times, travelling to a new place can be quite scary, it only gets worse if you are at risk. Why take chances? Buy your travel insurance now!