The right kitchen cabinets can make the look of your kitchen come alive. But a lot goes into selecting the right cabinets for your kitchen.
Whether you are building a home, redesigning your kitchen, or if you just want to give your kitchen a quick update, installing new cabinets will help you achieve your desired look. Read this guide to discover the different styles of kitchen cabinets and make the right choice for your home.
Different Styles of Kitchen Cabinets
From elaborate to simple designs, there are many kitchen cabinet styles to choose from. But before we get started, take a look at the design of the rest of your home. Take note of the current design elements you have in place and think about what cabinet styles will look cohesive.
Here are six of the most popular styles of kitchen cabinets for 2020.
- Traditional Cabinets
Traditional kitchen cabinets are elegant and inviting. They remind us of cabinets of the past with a slightly contemporary look. The traditional kitchen cabinet style is ornate, rich looking, and decorative.
This style uses a variety of colors and motifs reminiscent of the golden age of Europe. They provide balance and symmetry throughout the kitchen.
Characteristics of Traditional Kitchen Cabinets
- Patterns and textures – Raised panel cabinetry provides an elegant look and feel.
- Gilded details – Metallic patterns brighten up a dark kitchen and give off a decorative look.
- Ornamental hardware – Handles or knobs in shiny gold tones or polished silver add the finishing touch to traditional cabinets.
- Correlating rich colors – Dark brown cabinets warm up a room and provide a rich feel to any room.
- Many different shapes – A blend of straight and curved lines keep your kitchen interesting and highlight different aspects of the room.
- Modern Flat Cabinets
If you have a modern home, modern kitchen cabinets are an obvious choice, but you don’t necessarily have to change your home’s design elements if you want to add modern cabinetry. Sleek streamlined cabinets can also pair nicely with coastal or traditional homes.
Modern cabinets are often flat and have sharp straight lines that add an element of cool to your home.
Characteristics of Modern Kitchen Cabinets
- High gloss – Add a bit of glamour to your kitchen with high gloss cabinets that shine.
- Natural wood – Modern cabinets that are left unpainted bring in an element of nature to your home. You can mix in a few painted panels as well to mix it up if it begins to become too much.
- Bright colors – Modern homes often play with color. Try a bright red or blue for your kitchen cabinets to add a pop of color to your room.
- Shabby Chic Cabinets
Distressed vintage looking cabinets are one of our favorite styles of kitchen cabinets. This look adds a feminine flair to any kitchen. But before you add shabby chic cabinetry to your kitchen, make sure the rest of your home will compliment this look.
Distressed cabinetry is harder to fit into a home that isn’t already styled in a shabby chic or antique way.
Characteristics of Shabby Chic Kitchen Cabinets
- Pastel accents – Pops of light pink, blue, or green along with white are popular colors used on shabby chic kitchen cabinets.
- Reclaimed wood – Ask your cabinetry company if they make cabinets from reclaimed wood to give your kitchen an extra vintage feel.
- Open shelving – Give an airy feeling near the kitchen sink by using open shelving that matches the cabinetry.
- Brass accents – Tarnished brass accents complete the shabby chic look.
- Louvered Cabinets
Louvered kitchen cabinets are another look. Different cabinet styles all offer a different feel and Louvered cabinets are marked by horizontal overlapping boards on the front panels. This is a great look for coastal and cottage homes.
Louvered kitchen cabinets can also make your kitchen appear longer than it is because of its horizontal lines. Use these cabinets in a small kitchen to make the room feel brighter and more spacious.
Characteristics of Louvered Cabinets
- Lots of options – With many colors and wood types to choose from, louvered kitchen cabinets are very versatile.
- Add elegance – Break up a plain kitchen with the clean lines of louvered cabinetry.
- Add ventilation – Louvered kitchen cabinets are not purely aesthetic. They add ventilation to pantries that can help keep food from spoiling.
- Shaker Cabinets
Shaker kitchen cabinets have remained popular for decades. The design is clean and minimalist and can easily fit into a variety of different home styles. Shaker cabinets offer three-dimensional depth to give the kitchen a more interesting look without appearing to angular.
Shaker cabinets can easily be painted or left unpainted and are often a very cost-efficient option for people on a budget.
Characteristics of Shaker Kitchen Cabinets
- A touch of history – The shaker design originated from a religious movement that began in American colonial times.
- Clean and simple – Shaker cabinets avoid any flourishes and favor a cleaner look.
- Sturdy construction – Shaker cabinetry includes flat paneled doors with rail frames. They are made from high-quality wood and can withstand wear and tear.
- Earthy wood – Shaker cabinets come in many varieties of wood such as cherry, maple, and oak.
- Rustic Cabinets
Rustic kitchen cabinets reflect a country or mountain cabin lifestyle and may look out of place in an urban condo. These large cabinets have warm colors and rely on natural wood to add warmth to the kitchen.
Rather than using glassy stains, rustic kitchen cabinets are often left unglossed to give off a more natural and authentic feel.
Characteristics of Rustic Kitchen Cabinets
- Inspired by nature – Rustic cabinets showcase knots and the grain of the wood. Complement this look by adding other natural elements into your kitchen such as a stone backsplash.
- Rugged antique feel – Easily create a country or cabin feel by using distressed hardware. Incorporate small cubbies to show off pottery or collectibles in your kitchen.
- Textures and Patterns – In addition to the wood, rustic cabinets can add texture through the use of paneling. Consider rustic paneling around the kitchen island.
Choose a Style and Make It Your Own
No matter what style your house is designed in different styles of kitchen cabinets can help bring it to life. Whether you are remodeling or just redecorating these kitchen cabinets styles will add the finishing touch to your kitchen project.
Leave us a comment and tell us your favorite kitchen cabinet style and share this article on Facebook.