An essential oil is a type of natural oil that is often extracted from a plant, herb, bark, etc. There are many health benefits associated with essential oils and they are commonly used in aromatherapy. There are different types of essential oils and the most popular ones include lavender, lemongrass, vanilla, peppermint, rose, etc. These oils contain plant compounds that help address specific needs and are also known to penetrate skin cells faster.
Let us look at some of the most popular uses of essential oils:
- Helps treat stress-related problems: Probably one of the most common applications is in the field of aromatherapy, where it is used particularly to cure depression and anxiety. For example, lavender essential oil is used to relieve stress and calm the mind. On the other hand, rose oil is used as a mood elevator.
- To deal with respiratory problems: Those who suffer from acute respiratory problems such as bronchitis or asthma can use these oils to obtain relief. An example of this is Amyris and tea tree oil.
- For skin issues: No matter what the skin problem is, be it acne, blackheads, dry skin, or even bug bites, essential oils have amazing properties that can help address skin problems of all sorts. For example, tea tree oil is used to fight acne, while bergamot essential oil is often prescribed for eczema.
- To treat sleep disorders: Those who suffer from sleep-related problems often get amazing results after using essential oils. Be it insomnia, difficulty falling asleep or other such issues, lavender essential oil can do wonders.
- To soothe sunburnt skin: For those suffering from sunburns, application of lavender essential oil can really be soothing. Sandalwood essential oil also helps sooth the sunburnt area and provide comfort to irritated skin.
- To help cure a toothache: Yes! That’s right. The right essential oil can provide soothing relief against a toothache. Clove essential oil is one such oil. Those suffering from this problem and pour a few drops of this oil in a cotton swab and place it over the affected area for relief.
- In soaps and perfumes: Many essential oils are also used extensively in soaps and perfumes to give a unique flavour and aroma. There are many organic and natural soaps in the market and to make these, natural essentials oils are used instead of synthetic fragrances.
- For meditation and therapy: As many essential oils have medicinal properties, they can also be used during meditation or therapy sessions to set the mood. There are also many candles that are infused with essential oils and these can be used for such purposes.
- For pain relief: There are many types of essential oils that can help relieve muscular tension and subside pain in a very natural and organic manner. When applied with other carrier oils, they will provide the user soothing relief.
It is very important to choose the right essential oil based on the specific needs. One can do some research or consult a professional aromatherapist before making a purchase decision.