Technology has disrupted the way printing services do their business. While physical stores still do exist, it is almost necessary to offer online film developing services not to thrive but just to survive. For instance, newspapers have migrated online and are no longer printing paper copies. In the same vein, while paperbacks are still sold on shelves, an e-book copy will open up their market some more and add to the revenue stream.
According to estimates, the global printing industry is projected to hit more than $800 billion by 2022. A large bulk of the revenues can be attributed to digital printing, as well as packaging and labeling. While the market size seems much, it is understandable when you consider that everything has a digital copy nowadays.
The increase in digital consumption has been steadily rising. For instance, in 2017, the market share for digital film developing services was only about 15%. By 2022, it is forecast to hit 19.3%.
Both for consumers and businesses alike, online printing companies offer a lot of opportunities. Here are just some of the advantages of using these services:
- Convenience — This one does not need a lot of explanation. The fact that you can upload your photos, select the number of copies, pay for the service in the comfort of your home speaks for itself. Most online services have a turnaround time of two to three business days. But
- Upload bulk orders — The system limits the maximum bulk order to 200. However, you can order as many as batches of 200 photos as you like. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, you can finish uploading in minutes.
- Simple to use — These websites are designed to be user-friendly. For instance, with ICON LA, you only have to fill out a form then select the type and the size of the prints. You can then choose to process or process and print, or process, print, and then scan your photos. Your final choice will determine the price. Once you are done, you can send the film through your mailbox. The website will already cover the postage costs.
- No queue — When you go to the physical store, you might run into a crowd. Some stores have priority numbers while others do not have one, in which case you have no choice but to wait. By using online film developing services, you do not have to wait in line for your turn.
- Fair pricing — Some people think that online printing services are crazy expensive, which is far from the truth. However, you need to have at least $5 worth of order (before shipping and tax) to offset the delivery charge. With that said, the prices at the physical store might be cheaper, but you are not factoring in the price of gas into the equation. Plus, you have to dress up, get behind the car, locate the store, and probably wait for your turn. Are those really worth the centavo that you save?
- Print from anywhere — Regardless of where you are, as long as you have an Internet connection and a mailbox, you can print your film from anywhere. It is where online printing services trump physical stores. There are people living in areas where there are no printing services around.
Those are some of the reasons why you should be using online printing services. While digital printing has disrupted the way the industry is doing business, the end consumer will ultimately benefit. That is the nature of innovation.