Car crashes and auto accidents are reported frequently in Atlanta. As a driver involved in an accident, you need to know your rights and must be aware of the state laws of Georgia. Although you can file a third-party claim without an attorney, getting legal assistance is always worthwhile. In this post, we are sharing things worth knowing about dealing with a car crash and hiring a personal injury attorney Atlanta Georgia.
What to do after the crash?
- Call 911. If anyone is injured in the accident, call 911 immediately. Auto accident injuries often show up weeks later, and therefore, if you have evident signs of pain or other symptoms, check with an injury doctor.
- Call the police. Do not leave the scene until an investigating officer arrives. If the accident resulted in injury to or death of any person, you must report the crash to the local police department.
- Take your car to a safer place. If it is safe for you to do so, consider moving the car to avoid obstructing traffic. Don’t try to move someone who is seriously injured, as you may end up causing more harm.
- Note down the details. You may forget details of the accident in the following days. Note down all that you can remember immediately after the crash. Also, exchange contact and insurance info with other drivers. Check if there were witnesses to the accident and get their contact details.
- Take photos. It would help if you considered taking photos of the accident scene, damaged vehicles, and your injuries. If you decide to sue the other driver for negligence in the future, you will need evidence.
When should you hire an attorney?
Hiring an injury attorney is not mandatory in Georgia. However, call an attorney immediately if you have endured serious injuries in the crash or have suffered significant losses. Georgia is a modified comparative fault state. Your settlement would be significantly lower if you had a share in the fault. Insurance companies have their tactics for dealing with claims, and it is wise to have a lawyer to negotiate the settlement. If the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage is not enough to recover your losses, your lawyer can help you file an injury lawsuit.
Most attorneys in Atlanta will charge a contingency fee for car accident claims. You don’t have to pay upfront, and therefore, it is wise to get an attorney on board at the earliest.