On this incredible planet, finding good guides and interesting stories is one of the most helpful online resources particularly for people who are looking for an immigration lawyer.
Who is a Immigration Lawyer?
An immigration lawyer is anyone who can provide you with legal counsel about your legal rights or your responsibilities associated with immigration. This can extend to what paperwork you have to fill out, how often you have to submit renewals for things like green cards, and much more. An Immigration lawyer can help you if you are facing deportation by providing legal counsel for your case and representing you in court. Should you get married or have a family immigration lawyers can also help you apply for or update existing visas, green cards, and even citizenship.
When to Hire a Immigration Lawyer?
There are a multitude of situations where you might consider working with an immigration attorney, or getting a consultation from your immigration attorney. If you consult with an attorney who specializes in the field of immigration law, you can get help with many situations such as:
- checking on eligibility for a green card or for immigration benefits
- submitting paperwork for Asylum status with immigration authorities
- obtaining a green card, immigration benefit, or citizenship
- situations that require immediate an emergency legal help such as notification that Federal authorities have begun deportation proceedings against you
- returning to the United States after being deported
- having an immigration application that was denied or refused before but trying to apply again
- being convicted of a crime and trying to prevent that conviction from resulting in deportation or preventing you from entering into the United States
- moving to the United States for work
- changing your citizenship after getting married
- acquiring investment-based visas
How Do I Choose a Immigration Attorney?
When you said about choosing top immigration attorney, there are a few things you should consider:
- Cheaper is not always better. Immigration matters can be very complex and as such they can cost a great deal of money, but going for an attorney that is cheaper just to save a few hundred dollars may not work out in your favor. The field of immigration law is very complex and choosing a cheaper attorney might mean a multitude of things such as the attorney being inexperienced or the attorney not being as well read on the subject as they should be and this can result in your applications being denied or you being deported. It is simply not worth the risk just to try and save money. Instead, pick a top US immigration attorney.
- Tangentially, when evaluating attorneys, remember that top attorney’s will have expertise with your specific area of immigration. The field of immigration law is vast, so, if you are trying to update your current Visa or citizenship after getting married, you don’t necessarily want to hire an attorney who specializes in getting foreign workers a working Visa in America. They simply won’t have the experience in your area.
- Take advantage of the consultation. For many other fields of law the consultation might be free and 30 minutes so that you have time to ask some questions, present your case, and see if it’s a good fit. Immigration attorneys are a little different and they typically charge for the consultation. This might be a few hundred dollars depending on the attorney and the area in which you live. However, take the time and the money to literally and figuratively invest in consultations. Consultations are going to be your opportunity to ask questions that determine how experienced your attorney is, how much they charge, especially in comparison to other equally qualified attorneys in the area. The consultation is not just important for you as the potential client but for the attorney. They might not handle your situation at their firm but after the consultation they can refer you to someone else.
- This leads to the next requirement when choosing an immigration attorney and that is to ask a lot of questions. When you evaluate different attorneys, use the consultation to ask as many questions as you can. You will be on a shorter time frame during your consultation so it’s important to get the most out of it especially if you pay for it. Ask questions about their qualifications, where they have worked and for how long, whether they are a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association or similar organizations and what they would roughly see as the projection for the timeline of milestones in your case.